Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New To PLC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shajan

Electrical
Jul 15, 2003
AE
I would like to know about PLC programming.
I'm new to it.would anybody please advise what steps to follow in order to learn all about it,rather than joining a course.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pick a PLC platform to learn on first. Even though they all use ladder logic, they are different enough you need to pick one and learn to be proficient in that software. I don't want to get into that discussion I know how to program in Modicon, GE, and Allen Bradly they are all very different. Call your electrical rep and they can usually send someone over for a day or so to get you started.

Paul Thomas

Nothing beats the hands-on approach to learning. Pick a small problem that is pertinent to what you want to do and then select a system to get that is obtainable given your comfort level. That's how I'd learn to program a plc!

I would suggest that you first learn digital electronics. Armed with the knowledge of digital logic circuitry you will be amazed at how quickly you will learn how to program PLCs.

Remember that experience is the best teacher. I would suggest that you purchase your own PLC. Automation direct markets some very low cost units. You can reach them at automationdirect.com
Read everything you can get your hands on regarding digital electronics and the programming of PLCs. there are many good books written on the subject of PLC programming, perform a search at amazon.com and look for an authour with the last name of Petruzella. He has a gift for writing on the subject of PLCs. best regards, PLCSAVVY

plcsavvy is right. people in the electronic field ask me all the time "what is a plc?" I ask them, since you are an electronic WIZ...remember when you had to design circuit in college using 7400 family IC chips? **DING** a light goes off in their heads. I tell them if they can design a 7400 family logic circuit a PLC is just like putty at their finger tips with a good ladder logic software...

Chris Elston
Automation & Controls Engineer
Download Sample PLC Ladder Logic Code
at MrPLC.com

I hope to get a book by Petruzella soon.Thank you PLCSAVVY
for the information.
I have downloaded PlC ladder logic from mrplc.com.Now I am familiarised with drawing ladder networks.Chris would you please advise what should be the next step.

Shiju,

Have you been to faq791-640 yet? There are some good links there for people starting to learn PLCs.

P.S. I've asked for suggestions once about this FAQ, but nobody has contacted me yet with improvement ideas. There's a link to send me comments at the bottom of the FAQ.

xnuke

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back