New to Solidworks... Add folder bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

frusso110

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2012
US
Hey all.

Just changed jobs and went from NX6.0/NX7.5 to SolidWorks 2011. My new coworker has mostly got me set up, but even he doesn't know why the following is happening... My goal is to pack all of the instances of the same component to get a nicer looking tree. I was told that folders are a good way of doing this. So...

First I open up an assembly.

Next I right click the top assy in the design tree and select "Create New Folder". I get the below message every time.

"Cannot find a feature. Select feature(s) in the FeatureManager design tree and try again."

I've tried some obvious things, like selecting multiple parts that I want to add to a folder and right clicking, but nothing has worked so far.

In NX all I had to do was right click on the column bar and say "Pack All" if I didn't wanna see 400 rivets individually in my assembly tree. What's the deal?

Thanks for reading and for the assistance.

-Frank

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are selecting multiple components from the assembly tree and right clicking, you should have the option to "Add to New Folder" or "Creat New Folder." I see the same error message when right clicking on the top assembly in the tree, but it works fine for me when clicking on a part or sub-assembly in the tree.

Joe
SW Premium 2012 SP1.0
Dell T3500 Xeon W3505 2.4Ghz
6.0GB Win7 Pro x64
ATI FirePro V5800

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get it to work when RMB clicking in the display window instead of the tree.

Now, does SolidWorks have "Smart Folders" or something? It would be nice to automatically add parts to existing folders. Say if I add another MS35338-135 to my assembly, it automatically gets placed in the correct folder.

Try just Right Clicking in an empty space in the tree when making the folder. Or select the relations you want to place in a Folder and you should get an Add to new folder option.

One thing that yoou cant do is have subfolders although I've seen a way to do so in part mode but It's jusk a fluke.

I do hope that solidworks will learn how to move multtiple fettures in the tree. You can usually do so but it involves making a temp folder or keeping one called MOVE in the tree. SoliidWorks will give you an error that tells you it can't move multiple features but it will still move the ones in the folder.

Michael
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back