Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new vehicle - how much vibration is acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianE22

Specifier/Regulator
Mar 21, 2010
US
I noticed on my new SUV that there is a bit of vibration between 55 and 60 mph. I feel it both in the steering wheel and the seat. Is there a maximum vibration level that the manufacturers deem to be allowable at wheel hop frequency? I'm tempted to mount an accelerometer to the steering wheel just for fun.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not really. . I don't know how other manufacturers currently set targets, 20 years ago it would have been a case of somebody like me (NVH engineer) or a manager saying that's no good, fix it, whether on a prototype or a production car.

Most likely is one of your wheelweights has fallen off

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Thanks Greg - kind of nice know there's still subjective feel that's being used. A bit surprising though. I'd of thought that these days dealers would be required to road test each vehicle to some objective standard before letting the vehicle out the door.

It is an SUV and the tires are low profile so I don't expect it to ride as smooth as a car. I haven't brought it back to the dealer yet. I suspect their mechanic will say the vibration level is "normal". I'd love to go in with accelerometer data and tell them it's above the "limit". That's why I was hoping there was some sort of quantifiable vibration limit.

My fault though. When I test rode the vehicle I mentioned the vibration to the salesman sitting in the passenger seat. He said "...we just had a memo on that. For these vehicles, the sitting around not being driven for awhile is causing flat spots on the tires. They'll go away...".

Greg,

In response to your comment, "People's sensitivity varies by about 5 dB, the goal of the manufacturer is to satisfy some percentage of the buyers, not all of them.". I would like to ask:

In your experience, would you say people's sensitivities can change over time, depending on what they are exposed to? For example, someone who has driven premium cars all his life will be more likely to notice the OP's noise issue than someone who has only ever driven beetles. Or is this variance bio-mechanical, depending on the different states of the ears of the people driving?

Rotate the tires front to rear and see if you still get the same vibration. If not, then one (or both) of the front wheel/tires is out of balance and/or out of round.

I finally brought the vehicle in. I figured I'd wait for the first recall and get everything fixed. The mechanic said both the right side tires were out of balance. The ride is much better now.

The alarming thing for me was that the mechanic said it's not unusual for the new cars to need to have the tires/wheels balanced. Yikes, that might be it for me buying American made SUVs.

We had a CRV in storage for almost a year, and it was bumpy for a LONG time; I think we actually wound up getting all new tires to get rid of the bumpiness.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back