Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new vs. used

Status
Not open for further replies.

whph

Jul 15, 2005
CA
We are adding to our facilities and need to install a complete new compressed air and hydraulic system and (of course) our budget is very small. What are the dis/advantages over new and old compressors and hyd pumps?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seals such as O rings are a major factor in this sort of equipment, and obviously need replacing from time to time. You need to make sure that all the maintenace has been carried out by the previous owner, who should have a planned maintenance log to show all if this.

However, the price of older gear should be alot less to reflect the amount it has been used. But again, everyone has a reason for getting rid of their old equipment.

You are more than likely going to hae to spend more over the long run to maintain a used, older compressor than a new one, which will come with some form of warranty from the manufacturer.

thanks - i tend to agree that you end up spending more in the long run with used equipment, and that's the angle i'll be pitching, however it's not me signing the cheques, but it's good to have that coming from someone other than the supplier

There is a saying posted on another forum on this site: "Used equipment is usually only slightly more expensive than new."

I worked in maintenance for a number of years, and have an intense hatred for used equipment. The guy who buys it is rarely the one that gets saddled with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back