Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Newbie needs Guide 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnerdeng

Military
Dec 30, 2011
DE
I am quite new in the area of HVL, AI and ROBOTICS research (with some previous experience in system develompent with compiled languages as c/c++, java, basic and scrpting language such as python and rubby, which did not involved any of the above areas, as a system hobbyist).
I would like some advice, tips or guide or pointers as to what (other) programming languages and paradigm or methodology I would need to learn or adapt to, how and with what tools and resource i will might need to aid me.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Read a lot of code.
2. Write a lot of code.
3. Repeat.

The language doesn't matter much, and any one you study intensely will be out of fashion by the time you really know it. There are a limited number of ways to skin a cat, and most of what you learn from one will apply to all the others as well.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Seems like you're getting a bit bogged down on the language question. People have written applications in just about any language, so there is no "best" language for anything. If there were, then it would be far and away the most popular. Alternately, you could consider that C and Java are the most popular, and therefore, the most readily usable languages.

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

I'm in robotics. We use the same programming languages as other areas.
C/C++, Java, Matlab etc.
You will find that some languages are better for certain things. For example, m-codding in Matlab is ideal for simulations and clean/easy graphical outputs, solving DE's and the like. In real-time robotics sometimes C++ and Java are utilized due to their more easily accessible serial and port communication and the like. However, this is changing. Matlab now provides RT toolboxes. We now mainly use dSapce in conjunction with Matlab for large applications, and microcontrollers programmed in C++ for smaller applications.
This list could go on and on [smile]

[cheers]

[peace]
Fe (IronX32)

Status
Not open for further replies.