Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

News from Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mccoy

Geotechnical
Nov 9, 2000
IT
Hi all, I'm very ashamed I did not visit the forum and did not answer previous enquiries, I'm going to make up for it.
Thanks BigH for sending me the recent email packed with great pictures and the Jazz appreciation piece.
I'm still thriving, although at times very busy, I have to run now but will be back soon for a complete update!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hope everyone is good, apparently I didn't catch the SARSCOV2 virus, nor I got ill at all in the latest year. I keep following a pretty regular healthy routine with cardio and resistance exercise (mostly bench press, which I have at home). Plus an optimal nutrition, plus targeted supplementation, sunshine and above all I increased my sleep hours which everyone in the field says is vital for an efficient immune system. That was possible because with the Covid19 emergency most of the work is still being done at home.
The lockdown was very tough though on my autistic son, Christopher, who is now leaving in an institution, 3 hours driving from here. I'm planning to take him back home ASAP. Hope I'll manage.

The workload in my government job increased, but I'm able to keep doing some geotechnical stuff on top of it. My desire would be to take some time to get updated on the latest geotechnical literature. But time alas does not abound. The following picture was snapped last year, during the draconian lockdown the Italian authorities enforced. Masks are still being used and often I do not recognize people.

20200526_131456_RESIZED_padrmg.jpg

And this is my home with the background of a fantastic sunset. I live in full countryside. Which made the lockdown much less unpleasant.

IMG_20201224_164945_colnmp.jpg

And I tried to start again playing jazz, but the fall lockdown prevented the group from meeting further.

Jazz performers: right now I'm listening a lot to the late Mulgrew Miller, and exceptional pianist who in my opinion is at the same level as the other demigods of the acoustic piano: McCoy Tyner of course and Kenny Barron.

I never get tired listening to his interpretation of Autumn Leaves, together with Niels O Pedersen, formed bassist of Oscar Peterson. A highly suggested performance (by the way, is it possible to embed a youtube clip in this forum, the image, not just the link?).

McCOy - Autumn Leaves is on the album Kind of Cool by Wolfgang Haffner - see my jazz post of April 30th.

Thanks for the update! #staysafe!

BigH, I just listened to Autumn Leaves by the Wolfgang Haffner group. Indisputably cool rendition in the slow tempo. Liked the pianist.
That's a standard I love to listen to and to play, trying improvisation with various outside harmonies on it.

Maybe I'm going to open a thread on Autumn Leaves in its innumerable renditions.

The one by Kanny Barron's trio is superlative
The one By Mulgrew Miller's duo, as elsewhere stated, is superb
The one by McCoy Tyner as a solo pianist is just sublime. This one, from the album revelations, surprised Mccoy himself when he listened to the recording.

Right now I'm looking forward to turning the keyboard on and play. Instead, I have lots of work to do, Countdown to retirement is still far away... [sad] [sad]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back