Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NFPA 13-2013 / NFPA 14-2013 Combination dry sprinkler standpipe/riser question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt B NSE

Mechanical
Jul 3, 2024
US
I have an exterior standpipe in a building in Boston MA USA. (6 stories) It has a dry standpipe in the stairs. They now want to had a single sprinkler head on each floor to protect a window. (5 total heads) Can I turn the stand pipe into a combination standpipe/sprinkler riser and connect a single dry head to the riser at each floor without a separate zone control. We are not a high rise so there is no requirement to zone by floor. The question is if the same dry valve and associated flow switch can serve both the standpipe and the sprinkler heads? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By dry standpipe I take it you are talking about a standpipe with a dry pipe valve and not a manual standpipe?

How many standpipes are in the building? 2? 3? Just curious.

I also take it the building does not have a sprinkler system. Today this would not happen but what if the building was built in 1946?

Yes, you could tap into the standpipe on each landing but you will need gauges, a monitored control valve and drain. That or come off the existing dry pipe sprinkler system on each floor.

Hello All,

Responses below:
1) Building is fully sprinklered.
2) 2 standpipes in the building (One for each egress stair). One egress stair is exterior hence the requirement to be dry. (Yes, with a dry control valve not manual.)
3) We don't really want to connect to the sprinkler system directly if I can avoid it becuase then we would need a separate dry control valve. It is not feasible to use dry heads off the wet sprinkler system due to geometry.
4) I haven't asked the AHJ because they are impossible to get in touch with.
5) Haven't selected a head yet.

Thanks,
Matt

Highly suggest

1.look at data sheets for various window sprinklers!!! I take it that is what you are going to use.

2. Look at what systems they are allowed on , along with all the other parameters

May not be allowed on dry system

Where are these windows you are trying to protect? Exterior stair? Or other

Why is the protection needed??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back