Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NFPA 13 maximum area protected per riser

Status
Not open for further replies.

onthewaytopro

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2021
PH
Hi! I'm new to design on fire protection. These are my questions regarding the maximum floor area per riser.
1. If the building I'm about to design has multiple floors, is the maximum floor area accumulated on all floor?
2. If I exceed the maximum area per riser do I need a new fire pump for that? 1 pump per riser?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The maximum allowable area is for each riser. The "riser" is the assembly with a control valve, check valve, flow switch and drain. For light and ordinary hazard areas, one riser is allowed to protect up to 52,000 square feet. Storage risers may protect 40,000 square feet.

If your building is more than two stories in height there must be a separate riser for each floor at a minimum. Otherwise you may have a system protect two floors if the combined area is less than the maximum allowed for the hazard.

I'm glad I looked at this thread.
We are on NFPA 13-2016 in NY.
It's 52,000SF/floor.
In 2016 they added some stuff about more than two floors. (I just saw this - hence why I'm glad.)
I just looked at 2019 and it looks like they completely rearranged to standard. Can some one point out where is area requirement is in 13-2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back