Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NFPA 13R 6.6.5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmoore73

Mechanical
Apr 13, 2011
US
The attached file shows an isometric elevation and code reference for NFPA 13R 2013 6.6.5.1. We have a covered stairwell and covered entry to the apartment unit. This is a 2 story Type V construction multi-family building. The AHJ suggests the roof overhangs the stairs and entryway and needs to be protected. It is the AHJ's opinion that the overhang is covering "by definition" a patio/balcony and requires protection.

Any thoughts? Is this any clearer in an NFPA 13R handbook?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c2fbb29f-39f4-41ae-bb33-3cd287d6649d&file=Canyon_Ridge_6.6.5.1.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The way I read it he's wrong.

NFPA #13R said:
6.6.5.1 Where a roof or deck is provided above, sprinklers shall be installed to protect attached exterior balconies, attached exterior decks, and ground floor patios serving dwelling units in buildings of Construction Type V.

From the the handbook commentary said:
The committee has made a major shift regarding porches, balconies, decks, and ground floor patios serving dwelling units in buildings of Type V construction. Type V construction applies to the entire building, and not just the construction of the balcony. This rule applies to the exterior or “open” spaces accessible only from the dwelling unit itself, and not a corridor or breezeway that is shared among multiple dwelling units. During one of the model building code development process hearings, there was a major debate about allowing a Type V construction multifamily residential building protected with an NFPA 13R system to qualify for a one story height increase. Many of the building code proponents are extremely concerned about property protection. There is a history of fires starting on exterior open porches that have traveled up through each unprotected balcony and that eventually breached the attic, causing a total loss of the building. The main causes of these fires have generally been discarded cigarettes or unattended or improperly extinguished cooking grills. The fire codes do not allow grilling on porches, but this can be difficult to enforce. The fatality rates from these incidents are very low and are within the parameters of the scope and purpose of NFPA 13R. However, the committees that develop the model building codes agreed that, in order to recognize the height increase for an NFPA 13R system, these porches would be required to be sprinkler protected.

The NFPA 13R committee has resisted requiring sprinklers on these porches for several cycles, citing various concerns. The concerns range from the need for freeze protection to the question of the effectiveness of dry sidewall sprinklers installed under obstructed construction, considering exterior factors such as how wind might affect the spray pattern or response times. However, for the 2013 edition, the committee acquiesced to correlate with the model building code. Many sprinkler contractors and fire officials are unaware of the requirements found in the building code in regards to these porches, decks, patios, and balconies, often only finding out the details of the requirement from a building official around the time they attempt to get a certificate of occupancy. So, this correlation with the building code helps make sprinkler contractors aware of the requirements on these open areas before they begin working.

This section also is explicit in that if there is not a roof or deck above the balcony or porch, no protection is required; a balcony under an eave with a soffit or fascia board would not be mandated to have sprinklers added.

I recently ran into the same problem but didn't fight it because I got paid extra to do it. I never fight someone who wants to give me more money.

That said my lowly opinion is they should get rid of all Type V construction altogether.

Ditto. Unless the jurisdiction amended the code the sprinklers in those areas is not required. The loss history in Annex A confirms this is an area of apartment buildings with very low fire loss history.

SD2, you will never get rid of Type V construction in Group R. Too much money is on the table.

We had to sprinklers under everything of wood construction, which was everything, which I had no problem doing because it was a legitimate change order. We even put sprinklers in the balcony closets (not accessible from inside the dwelling unit) and storage closets as well (not accessible from inside the dwelling units).

2z6yo8m.jpg

Dry pendents and dry sidewalls, all 60 of them where I had 20 originally figured.

I am an experienced (40 years) layout technician and I never, ever make the decision as to whether the project is covered by 13 or 13R. If residential I want to see something exactly like this

2i1jvw9.jpg

or a written letter signed by the building professional telling me, the certified layout technician, exactly what standard I am to follow and that is exactly what I do. This way if someone comes along later saying the project needs a full 13 system I am not the dead dog laying in the street but the guy with a very legitimate, and big as in BIG, change order coming my way. Thank you very much.

And that is my two cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back