Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NFPA #25 and providing hydraulic placards... talking about old systems here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinklerDesigner2

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2006
US
My first hydraulic placard went was attached in 1976 and while I haven't seen it I doubt very much it is still there or, if it is, it's legible. Over time magic markers bead up or just fade away.

NFPA 25 2013 Handbook said:
5.2.6* Hydraulic Design Information Sign. The hydraulic design information sign for hydraulically designed systems shall be inspected quarterly to verify that it is attached securely to the sprinkler riser and is legible.

A.5.2.6 The hydraulic design information sign should be secured to the riser with durable wire, chain, or equivalent. (See Figure A.5.2.6.)

Paragraph 5.2.6 requires that the hydraulic design information sign (also called a nameplate or placard) be inspected on a quarterly basis. NFPA 13 requires a hydraulic design information sign on hydraulically designed systems so that the design criteria and system demand can be readily determined. The hydraulic design information sign can provide useful information to the owner. If the design information sign is missing, the owner should contact a design professional to determine the demand for the system, which can be written on a new design information sign. The details are also documented on the approved plans and hydraulic calculations, but these plans can be misplaced and may not be available when the property changes owners. A hydraulic design information sign that is securely fastened to the riser can provide the details when these other data are missing (see Exhibit 5.21). If the sign becomes loose or is difficult to read, it must be repaired or replaced.

So the sign shall be inspected but what if it isn't there? The appendix reads I should go survey the system but that is the appendix and not the standard.

A survey wouldn't be that bad unless the pipe is concealed but then what?

How does your company treat it, if the sign is missing does their system get a green tag?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hate that inspection requirement.
Owner's hate us already, we are not wanted. Then we say, "Oh! your sign is missing, that will be several thousand more."
Also, what the hell does an inspector or anyone else need to know about the design requirement? That is an Engineering function, not a 25 inspection.
The system's design criteria handled at time of design/acceptance.

If there are stickler AHJ's, then a full survey and calc must be provided. At which time you ensure you will not get invited back next year to the party.

Personally, I overlooked that section during my inspection days. And I slept well at night. We get focused on the sign, and completely overlook the "Maintain drawings and calcs for the life of the system" requirement.

R/
Matt

It is nice to know ten years later or so, that the system needs 40 psi to make it work,

And you see that there is only 25 psi???

That would be the purpose of the annual flow test and reviewing previous flow tests/inspection reports.
If the water supply degradation reaches a certain percentage, then the system must be re-calced. Per 25.

R/
Matt

I understand the reasons for the placard and why one should always be fixed at the riser but what if one isn't?

I have a 20,000 sq ft doctors office building installed in 1994.

Sprinkler pipes are run in the concealed space above the drywall ceiling. Without tearing the drywall down we can not determine the pipe sizes as the company that did the installation went out of business and drawings are unavailable. What do you do?

Generally ask the installing contractor for a copy of the data. Usually it isn't available however.

Really any time a customer hears something they don't want to hear I, as an inspector, am generally politely fired after that moment.

Thankfully I am OK with being fired for doing the right thing.

It then switches to an NFPA 13 EVALUATION.
Full survey and calculations must be performed.
The fact that you cannot access it will need to be worked out with the owner and AHJ.
We negotiate cut and patch everyday. Yours is just impractical.
Again, I would request a pass from AHJ/Insurer.

R/
Matt

If you as an inspector, ignore a missing riser sign, and sign off on it, I think you are leaving your a$$ open for a huge lawsuit. If there is a fire, the system fails (for any reason) and someone is injured, the land sharks (lawyers) will come after YOU (or your employer).

The decal is there, but the ink has faded and is illegible. We make note on the service report and send a copy to the local FD. And that is where enforcement stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back