NFPA-30 2000 ED - fire water containment. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundancekid

Civil/Environmental
May 22, 2003
US
What do I do with all of this water?
Storage of 3,500 gal. of class IB Liquid in 55,5,& 1 gal metal containers and 5 & 1 gal plastic (dot spec) containers. Room size is 1,900 sf

IBC occupancy class of general operation is S-1
IBC occupancy of cut off room is H-3

Working through the NFPA-30,2000 requirements along with the SFPC we have come up with a 20 minute containment requirement for the anticipated sprinkler flow plus largest container.

With a wet roof system density of 4.5 gpm / 3,000 sf, and in-rack system per Table 4.8.2(g) the calculated flow (including balancing water) is 1,500+ GPM. This fills the room to a depth of over 2 feet in 20 minutes.

Needless to say - this type of ramp height is a problem for florklifts and personnel.

We have also considered a nominal curb and piping the flow to a LARGE holding tank outside. This would need to be more than 50' from the building or it apparently has to be protected (more water). Also there appears to be some EPA requirements for the tank. In addition it is very expensive.

I find the "Mercantile" exception of up to 7,500 gallons appalling and a hypocrisy when compared to these requirements.

Does anyone have any reasonable solutions or applicable exceptions than can be applied in this situation

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am sure you have come up with an answer by now. But if not,install a AFFF foam system, closed head, then you do not need to provide liquid spread control only spill containment. See NFPA 30, 2003 figure 6.8.5. and section 6.4.2.5 and section 6.8.5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back