Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NFPA 30 inspection question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stkyle

May 27, 2011
US
I'm trying to figure out what the NFPA 30 inspection requirements are and when it's required and if it's part of the API 653 inspection process.

This is for petroleum tanks. I know what the codes are, I just don't know anything about the inspection process... Surprisingly little information on the web, though most likely I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NFPA 30 has a number of requirements for petroleum storage tanks. Section 21.8 requires ASTs to be inspected and maintained in accordance with API 653 and maintained liquid tight. The same section also requires the inspection to include all tank appurtenances as well the development and implementation of plan for the removal of water from storage tanks that contain an inmiscible liquid.

I did see that section, thanks. I was confused because I was asked to find whether or not NFPA 30 inspection was a part of API 653 inspection and it took me a while to realize NFPA 30 requires API 653.

I felt rather silly, I was 15 pages into a summary before I hit the Inspections section and realized that was the only bit I needed >.>

Be careful with that assumption. Your installation must also comply with Chapter 6 for the fire prevention and fire risk control and Chapter 7 if your tank contains Class I liquids.

Finally, no need to feel silly. Sometimes codes and standards can be challenging.

I think that NFPA 30 does not have explicit contents to define the inspection procedures, so you have to look to other references, or make a good interpretation where the NFPA 30 is not easy to apply on actual cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back