Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NFPA 58 & ASME VIII Div 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson329

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2024
US
I am a Quality Control Manager for an ASME Certified shop. We build vessels to ASME U and UM Section VII Div. 1 Vessels and have been asked to quote a tank that is also compliant with NFPA 58. From what I can tell the NFPA Specification is not a new construction code but has rules on valving, openings, PRV's, etc. that we would have to incorporate into our Vessel design but it is not like ASME in that we won't have to get "Certified" to build items to the NFPA Specification. There is no monogram to be applied or 3rd party inspection to go through. Am I understanding it correctly?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Been around a lot of propane tanks, just never the manufacture of them.

Have you read 5.2.1.1? And can you meet all requirements?

From 2024 edition

Section 5.2.1.1 Tells me the Codes that can apply to these tanks - I read it to say that they must meet the ones which apply (not necessarily all of them). IE: in the case of Propane tanks for Hot Air Balloons the FAA regulations would apply in addition to the ASME Code but the FAA Code wouldn't apply to a stationary use tank. In my case we would build these to ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, not the others. Am I reading it incorrectly?

We will have our Authorized Inspector as the 3rd party on the ASME side. What I would like to know is if I have to have a 3rd party for the NFPA side or is it just something we follow during the design phase? I tried reaching out to the NFPA and they want me to become a member (At $175.00) before they will answer what they call a Technical Question.

Yep. Nfpa wants some cash

Not sure if this answers your question

NFPA does not certify, list, etc anything, so no.

I would try to talk to a propane container manufacture, and ask your questions.

Typically, NFPA equipment and parts are made and certified by UL standards. You may verify with the Client and AHJ if any applicable rule and regulation as required for the work.

To finish my comments entered imperfectly above.

NFPA 58 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code specifies lots of things about the installation of a propane storage tank and associated support systems. Your customer should have engaged a PE to prepare plans, drawings, and all of the rest of the details to bring this project to a successful conclusion. The specifications and drawings should not leave anything in doubt, if they do ask the engineer of record to clarify.

In my opinion your understanding of the requirements in NFPA 58 for a propane storage tank being things that must be added to an ASME section 8 unfired pressure vessel is correct. You should also look at the applicable Pressure Vessel Safety Code effective in the locality of installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back