Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nickel removal from chemical waste water

Status
Not open for further replies.

ED33

Chemical
Dec 24, 2003
TR
Dear my colleagues,
I am working an automotive plant and responsible from treatment plants. Nowadays, The amount of Nickel and Zinc comes from paint shop to the chemical waste water treatment plant increased. Nickel and Zinc produces at phosphate plating process at paint shop. I would like to remove Nickel and Zinc before treatment. So does Anybody have information about removal of nickel and zinc before treatment. Is there any material to filter heavy metals.
Thank you for your kindly support.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ED33,

It is possible to remove heavy metals from wastewater. However, you may produce a sludge that contains heavy metals. You may then have a sludge disposal problem.

Do you have an analysis of the wastewater? What is the conductivity (TDS)level of the wastewater?

Todd

Oxilume,
Thank you for your answer. My main problem is the amount of Nickel and Zinc at treatment sludge. Because of the high heavy metals I should pay more money for disposal. My idea is; If I remove nickel and zinc before treatment,I can solve the problem.
Two types of water comes into Chemical treatment plan. These are Metallic and oil bases. Nickel and Zinc inside of Metallic bases. Its conductivity is; 140 µs/cm at 19,5 C degree temperature.
I am looking forward to your answer.

Octolig by MGI out of Colorado has a proprietary heavy-metals selective ligand binding resin that we looked at using for mine drainage (nickel mines).

I know they have some plating waste stream experience, so you may want to give them a call to check your particular stream.

(303)-833-1432

Good luck.

There is a resin that may work for you depending on the feed metal concentrations and the level of reduction desired. The nickel reduction has reached 99.4% (depending on the feed concentration).

You can contact me at pmorton@ecsrefining.com. If you send me the concentration data with discharge goals, I will see what I can do.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back