Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nik-link suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamuwere

Automotive
Oct 20, 2003
US
Radical cars (sports racer constructors) claim a patented suspension design they call the Nik-link. This design supposedly eliminated the need for ARB's via some complex linkages.

I have no Radicals locally (everything else though) and have been unable to find some clear pictures or design info. I haven't found patent or SAE info either.

In a class that does not allow ANY ARB's, I think some similar design could be useful.

thanks,
jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The nik-link uses a bell crank to compress the top of the coil over as well as the coil over compressing from the bottom a-arm. This gives more shock travel to control the spring they say. The ARB is a tubular bar bent downward at one end and is mounted across the chassis connected to the bell cranks on either side. When the suspension moves the bar bends (bows) causing roll resistance.

This is what I hate about the whole patenting system. The 'nik link' is identical in concept to the front suspension system Andrew Thorby designed for the early 90s Van Diemen Sports 200 car. He subsequently used the design on the Lister Storm LMP.

Is it possible to contest patents after the fact by demonstrating that the patentees did not independently come up with the idea?

Ben

Yes it is possible to challenge a patent on the grounds of existing knowledge or examples of the art before the patent was applied for. To stand, a patent must meet criteria as to the validity of it innovation and invention.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I did indeed use it on the Van Diemen and the Lister. There are a number of benefits, but on the front of the Van Diemen (and presumably the Radical) it allowed the good motion ratio of a pushrod linkage with the chassis simplicity of a simple double A-arm/coilover layout. Didn't realise it was patentable though....

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back