Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NiMh batteroes losing voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

konsole

Electrical
May 8, 2007
US
About 2 months ago I purchased 8 brand new Tenergy C-cell 5000 mah NiMh batteries for use in my boombox at work. All of them have been working great until today. 2 of the batteries are rapidly losing their voltage. Using a multimeter I tested those 2 batteries and was watching the voltage drop about .01 volts every 5 seconds or so. All 8 batteries were fully charged over the past 2 days and were all reading 1.4 volts right after the charge. Strange thing is that when I put these 2 batteries back in the charger for just 10 seconds they jump back up to 1.4 volts but then start losing their voltage again.

What's going on with these batteries?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could an electrical surge in the house cause this? At the same time this happened my computer motherboard went bad.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? It seems as though they can be charged up but just wont hold the full charge. They seem to start at 1.4 volts and drop down to about 1.2 in maybe an hour.

No there not dead. I tried charging them up again and now there fine, even 2 or 3 charges later

So they seem to be fine now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back