Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Niobium Electroplating Conditions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng3000

Industrial
Jun 19, 2008
MT
I'm researching the electroplating of Niobium on top of an initial electroplated finish (on a non-conductive base).

As a method, I expect to use a molten alkali metal chloride solution. I can find some indicators of required temperature, but so far none on the 'electro' setup, i.e. potential, current density etc. Also, it's unclear what other reactions occur (e.g. is significant chlorine evolved, if so, should I use a closed recombinant or vented cell etc.).

The setup would be very small (mostly for jewellery,) and at this stage I am just trying to determine the feasibility of proceeding to a development stage, though most of the required equipment is at hand.

Any contributory information would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only plating parameters I've seen for plating Niobium were in a Jewelry magazine and a Russian paper. of these articles were plating from Fluoride bath.

Here are two sources that might lead to some of the parameters you need. The first is a reference to a paper from the Electrochemical Journal and the second is book on electroplating of various metals.

Title: Professional Manual of Electroplating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back