Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Nitrogen gas consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

IYYAPPA

Chemical
Feb 19, 2017
SG
I am working in chemical storage terminals. May i know any idea or suggestion to reduce nITROGEN CONSUMPTION we are using nitrogen for ships tank purging, nitrogen blanketting ot tanks. Pigging and line drying .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your operators and maintenance folks know where the N2 is being wasted. Ask them to help. Throw them some overtime to fix it and it'll get done.

Good luck,
Latexman

To a ChE, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

Are you actually measuring the oxygen at the vents or just using 'standard rule' for purging?
I have seen people approach this as wanting to make sure that they purge enough for safety, and in the end the result is using less gas.
Work with the operators. They know what is really happening.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I'm hesitant to mention this, because most of the equipment you're referencing is low-pressure equipment, and I don't want anyone to misapply this and fail a tank. This method of inerting a vessel is much more efficient (uses a lot less N2) but you must be very careful and utilize the necessary safeguards when applying this to low-pressure equipment. I'm referring to the procedure of sequentially pressurizing and depressurizing the equipment. That will purge out the O2 more quickly, and with less N2 usage, as compared to a continuous purge. Just be sure, especially when doing this to low-pressure equipment, that you have reliable protection against excessive N2 pressure for the vessels being purged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back