Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No discoloration acceptance criteria for titanium welds under ASME IX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnero

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2009
BE
For both welder performance and for welding procedure qualifications, I did not find anything that limits the discoloration of titanium base material under ASME IX.
Am I correct, or is it hidden somewhere else apart from QW 452, QW 302 and QW 194 ?

I am aware of the existence of AWS D1.9, can I somehow refer to that standard to not accept a rainbow colored titanium weld that was performed under ASME IX qualifications?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately, ASME doesn't really address titanium too much simply because it isn't used often in pressure vessel construction.

That stated, ASME is the minimum. Depending on the purpose, using other criteria available to justifiably critique welds would indeed be ok, in my opinion.

Even if the color 'passes', ASME would require a mechanical bend test in order to pass the minimum qualifications. Typically the color discoloration is used as a Non-Destructive "Go/No-Go" test anyway, so having the mechanical test data as well as the discoloration should be adequate enough.

Quality is not an act, it is a habit - Aristotle

Discoloration of metals is outside the purview of ASME IX.
A little googling revealed the following links

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back