Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Grout Base Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtm161

Structural
Oct 10, 2002
US
I am looking for some text references or guidance for the design of base plates and anchor rods with open space between the plate bottom and the foundation. For this case, precast concrete posts are bolted to the plate with rods that extend out of the post bottom. The plate will then be bolted to the foundation and supported on the anchor rod nuts.

The posts are spaced 20 ft c-c and are up to 28 ft high. They support concrete noise barriers so as you can see the base moment is quite large due to the wind loading. Self-weight axial load is also considered.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MTM,

The method you are using sounds fine, right up till you don't fill the space between the base plate and foundation with grout after you've connected all the bolts and plumbed the posts.

Is there a reason you don't want to grout the space?

Jim

Jim,
It would make the design much easier with a grouted plate, however our client has specified that grout will not be used to fill the space. I have seen these type of connections before but I cannot find any design example or text that deals with it.

Mark(mtm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back