Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

No UL by competetors in market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvamet

Electrical
Dec 19, 2007
US
I have a business that manufactures a type of safety equipment specified in an ANSI standard. I have a few market competitors in the US that also manufacture this equipment. Our market totals 50-150 units per year. This equipment is a permanently installed low voltage system. My competitors equipment is not UL listed, so I have refrained from UL listing. Our low sales volume cannot support the cost of UL, same with my competitors. The end user has no choice. If they wish to comply with the ANSI standard, they must purchase and install equipment that is not UL listed. The 24 VDC (24VA) wall wart that powers my system is UL listed from the original manufacturer, so when asked, I inform them the power source is UL listed and the remainder of the system conforms to the requirements of NFPA 70E low voltage power limited control circuits and wiring.

I am simply curious about any advice that some of the UL experts on this forum might provide. Should I just consider myself lucky and shut up?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From the information that you have provided, by using a UL listed 24 VDC direct plug in power supply (I have never heard them called wall warts but I think I will start using the term from now on :) you are likely in good shape. I am assuming the the power supply is listed as "Class 2" and that it has not been modified. Due to your low volume if you have a client that insists on a Certified/listed product you could either look at another NRTL that is maybe less expensive than UL or possibly have a field evaluation done on your product (still not inexpensive though)

Cheers,

Nick Scott

"If they wish to comply with the ANSI standard, they must purchase and install equipment that is not UL listed."

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand this remark. Which ANSI standard is this? I haven't run across a mandate of "not-UL-Listed."

geerhed, the OP was saying that there are no UL-listed products available to comply with the standard, not that the standard specifically requires non-UL-listed products.

david: yes, I guess that was obvious after all.

pvamet: You are fine; enjoy the cost savings. If a customer requires a full system listing, I hope they are a high-volume buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back