Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

No warming in Australia for 10 years according to satellites

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregLocock

Automotive
Apr 10, 2001
Orbiting a small yellow star

My niggle with that is that we've had 3 la ninas in a row, which tend to give cooler summers. While the farmers are happy, i would guess the many people who bought houses on flood plains are not - this is the first year I can remember where puddles form on the ground on the first day of rain (I live on a sand dune with a thin surface layer of soil and clay).

So for more fun I'll look to see if there was any historical agreement between average annual temperatures and the El Nino /La Nina index.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I guess you can consider yourselves lucky... other places are warming up a tad... the barcode would suggest otherwise [pipe]

Clipboard01_maaooj.jpg

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

You have to be careful how you select data... not much change in the last 10 years is correct... look at what came before.... [pipe]

Clipboard01_vkkmm8.jpg

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

That at first sight agrees with the article. In the last 10 years the coolest year is the last one- and if you are plotting linear regressions it's the first and last points that have the biggest weight for the slope. I'd add that of course the BoM has been steadily cooling the past since they can't fiddle with the present any more since we now have an independent auditor.

Tbl1_en44uy.png

Cheers

Greg Locock

...as the bar chart shows.

-Dik

as the barchart sorta shows... still fairly uniform, but colder. Satillites??? [ponder]

-Dik

Well, rarely has so much Excel been written to produce an R^2 of 0.042! There is no relationship between the ENSO index and the average temperature of Australia over the same year. That's an interesting shibboleth to have dismantled. I could indulge in my favorite vice of torturing the data a bit, but I ain't fighting 0.042. There is a secondary consideration that the ENSO index may include temperatures, so they may not even be independent.

Cheers

Greg Locock

...and all the children are above average:)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back