No write access to tool library 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smjor

Mechanical
Jan 11, 2011
US
Hi,
I'm using NX 7.5, kinda new to this software, and I'm having a bit of a problem. I can't export tools that I create to a library to be saved. Any time I try I get the following error: No Write Access to Library. How do I fix it so that I do have write access to the library? Thanks for any advice you can offer...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had this problem when I first switched over to Windows 7 64 bit. My install of Windows automatically sets all files and folders located in "Program Files" to read-only. Unless you specifically run the program as an administrator you get that "No write access" error if you used the default installation directory for NX. You can either force NX to run as an administrator (right click on icon, properties, compatibility settings), change the privileges for the "Program Files" folder (and everything in it), or move the library files out to another directory and change the appropriate variables to point NX to the correct place. The later is probably best because the privileges are set that way as a security measure and it is probably a good idea to leave them like that.

When working with any of the MACH file, postprocessors, user definied evnts, or library files it is always a good idea to make a copy the resource folder or even the entire MACH folder and place it wher you do have write access. You can set your environmental variables to point to the new location. That way if you make a mistake you can always go back and copy the original files. With tool libraries we have them on a network folder that all the users can get to.

The key to sharing files is to set the custom locations to a network drive and modify the customer default files to point to those locations.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

To find the location of your tool library files, help --> log file, and see what UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_DIR is set to. This is usually ...MACH\resource\library\tool.

You can open up the permissions on this, but I do not recommend that you do that.

As JJ mentions, you should copy the entire resource folder from MACH to your own location, then set UGII_CAM_RESOURCE_DIR to point there. Then you can freely edit without changing the OOTB install. When you load the next release, you can make another copy of resource and merge your changes in to the new copy.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Hi all,

I am having this problem as well. Can't Export tools to library.

I am running NX4 64-bit, on Windows XP64.

Following the suggestions in this thread,I did the following:
1) I right clicked the NX4 launcher, selected RUN AS... and unchecked "Run this program with Restricted Access".

2) I verified in the NX log file that NX is properly pointed to my tool library on a network drive.
UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_ENGLISH_DIR T:\NX4\mach\resource\library\tool\english
3) I verified the tool library file is not set to read only.

What else could be going on? Thanks in advance for the help.

Windows permissions on the t:\nx4\ folders that limit them to write only for windows admins. At least that is how I set up my systems.

Do what JJ said, copy the resource folder and all sub-folders to another directory (t:\NX4_user\mach) and set UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_ENGLISH_DIR to T:\NX4_user\mach\resource\library\tool\english
After this is done, you should have RW access to all of the library files. This also allows you to use the same library when you upgrade to a newer version of NX.

Ben Loosli

Changing the folder name (and updating my env file) didn't fix the issue. But after moving the files and still having problems, I thought to double-check the settings on my tool library file... It was still read/write.

That's when it dawned on me: what if something else NX is trying to change is read only? Not sure of every file involved when exporting tools to the library, so I just changed the properties on the entire MACH folder to read/write.

It works now. Don't care why. Moving forward. Thanks again.

Moving files retains the original permissions.
Copying files gives the person doing the copy their default permissions.

The instructions given where to COPY the files from the NX loadpoint to another top leevl folder and then repoint the variable to the new location.

If you did MOVE the files, you need to copy them back or you may have issues when you install the next MR or MP as they may be looking to update files in folders that no longer exsist in the NX loadpoint.

Ben Loosli

One way I've "hacked" locked C:drive folders (when u have an un-bending employer) is copy the MACH folder under your user "My Documents" folder (which the admin never locks). Then copy the UG.bat file there along with the ug_env.dat file. You now have the UG.bat file point to the ug_env.dat files with all your options now configurable. I'd love to get them to agree to a networked tool library but... Anyway, necessity is the mother of invention! ;-)

--
Bill

And when your sys admin makes chnages and you go complaining that something isn't working right, don't blame the sys admin! I had a script that would do a network search for copied ugii.bat files. I would then send an email to the user asking why they had the need to circumvent company procedures and not always use the latest startup scripts.

Much better to work with IT than to go around them!

Ben Loosli

Ben,
Agree 100%. That said, the "policy" here is "I can't be bothered with your needs as..." They use the line, "NX should run fine as it's basic install". He also administers our Novel network. Yes, Novel. Also there's a political battle between the v5 and NX users. We have no access to tool libraries, Load options, Grip, or Journaling. By doing what I did, I now can. They just don't see the need. (Sounds like I'm venting...). ;-) So no I know I can't complain when they change the configuration some day.

--
Bill

Sounds like your management/IT managers need to realize what they are costing your company in productivity by locking the system to an OOTB configuration.

I look at a CAD system like an IndyCar. All teams use the same Dallara chassis, but it is the customization that they do that improves their chance of having a winner or a mid-pack runner. CAD systems need to be customized with the settings that make your company the winner.

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back