Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NOAA Precipitation Frequency Storm using Hydrocad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JALeng

Civil/Environmental
Oct 16, 2010
US
I'm modeling a watersheet using Hydrocad software to determine the increase outflow due to a development. The local regulation require the use of precipitation frequency data obtained from NOAA. How I model 24h storm using frequency storm data?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will need to look carefully at what your regulations require.

Most studies continue to use the standard SCS Type I, II, or III rainfall distributions. In these situations, all you need to do with the NOAA data is to enter the 24-hour rainfall depth for each event.

In rare cases, you may need to develop a custom rainfall distribution based on the NOAA data. Check your regulations to to see if this is required.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

HEC-HMS provide several options to calibrate the meteorologic mode. One of them is precipitation frequency storm. This method provide the option to specify the precipitation for 5-min, 15-min, 1-hour, 2-hour, 3-hour, 6-hour, 12-hour and 24-hour. Using this data, I have modeled a watersheet with the parameter of SCS curve number and SCS unit hydrograph. These method of analysis is posible using Hydrocad.

Attached are the local regulation that describe the guidelines to prepare H-H study

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b1fc0270-2651-4c5c-ae86-0d62affc673f&file=Guidelines_for_Preparing_H-H_in_Puerto_Rico.pdf
The next HydroCAD release will have the ability to generate a synthetic mass curve (for use with the SCS method) based on the data you describe. In the mean time, if you send us a NOAA data file we can do the conversion and send you the HydroCAD-compatible rainfall files. For details please see
Please note that if you already have a mass curve from another another program, you may prefer to convert this to a HydroCAD format, rather than re-generate the curve. For details please see

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back