Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Nodal coordinates and the strains at the nodes

chinsan

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2024
IN
I want to extract the nodal coordinates and the strains at the nodes for a simple 2D and 3D plate. The loading conditions are encastre at one end and displacement-based loading on the other end. I have read about the UMESHMOTION and its utility routines but am unable to crack the problem. So please guide me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you only want to read them, you can use the existing outputs (strain variables and COORD) and postprocessing tools (even the Probe Values tool can read integration point variables like strains extrapolated to nodes).

Thank you, but I want to write Fortran code for this and print them. I also want to store these nodal coordinate values and the strains at the nodes in a common block.
So please guide me for this.

Yes, I need the whole body's nodal coordinate values and the strains at those nodal coordinates and then use them in the UMAT subroutine. I read that these nodal coordinates and strains at these coordinates can be derived using the GETVRNAVGATNOD utility routine defined in the UMESHMOTION code but my model does not have any adaptive meshing.
So now, please guide me on whether the UEXTERNALDB subroutine defined in the above-mentioned thread will give me the nodal coordinates and the strains at those nodal coordinates.
Also, as you mentioned about python scripting, will it work for my case?

Back