Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noise generation in vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagara

Chemical
Feb 21, 2006
AR
Hello to everyone.

For process reasons, we have decided to open a pipe to vent excess air to atmosphere. However, in order to do this, they have asked me to calculate the noise that would generate in such discharge. What would be the best way to calculate this? (in order to guarantee that the OSHA limit of 85 dBa would not be surpassed).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nagara, may I suggest that you don't spend your Friday afternoon on a sophisticated calc, but just send a guy outside with hearing protection and a dB meter?
Sorry if this does not sound like an engineer writing, but engineering time is expensive, managers don't always realise. :)

I am evaluating the convenience of opening the vent. The engineering department will not do the job, unless I guarantee that 85 dBA limit will not be surpassed.

Nagara:
I am reading this after a long time. I will give you my suggestions.
A vent valve need not have a 85dB(A) limit. The OSHA requirement, specifies 85dB(A) for a 8 hr exposure. Vent valves are always located several meters away from the vicinity of people working in a plant. Also they are intermittent operation valves, open for a few minutes until the process returns back to normal mode. Calculating noise from a control valve is a complex calculation. Also it depends on what standards you want to follow, IEC, ISA, Manufacturer std etc...
The valve vendor from whom you will purchase the valve must be able to give you a approximate value. The only thing you must bear in mind is to have a good support for the valve to minimise damage due to vibrations.
Inspite of all these if you still insist on 85dB(A) a vent silencer could be a good option. The valve vendor may be able to quote the valve and silencer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back