Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noise reduction in the intake conducts of a car 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Txoleski

Automotive
Nov 5, 2011
ES
Hi to all,

We are trying to achieve knowledge about noise reduction in the intake system of a car, specially the noise that turbocharger generates. Does anyone have information about noise generation of turbochargers? And what about the methods of noise reduction?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The method of noise reduction depends on what noise you are trying to get rid of. Since you mention turbos it is likely to be gas rush noise, in which case prevention is better than cure, that is, use large diameter tubes, no sharp edges, and large bend radii.

Whatever the situation it is far too large to cover with an internet post, noise reduction in intakes is the subject of little literature, but the broad theory is the same as for any other duct. So start with Beranek.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

The most annoying turbo-generated noise is the whine caused by imbalance in the rotor (manufacturing variation). My own personal turbo does not suffer from it, but I've driven cars that do. In one case the noise sounded like I was always being tailed by a distant police car, with its siren going. Blade-passing is quite pleasing, as it is a short-term transient thing that just reminds you you have a turbo, before it moves out of audible range (or moves into a range where it isn't transmitted).

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back