Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noisy Valves on BMW GS 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colombia

Automotive
Mar 12, 2001
CO
I´ve just done a rutine maintenance on a Paris Dakar BMW motorcycle, but althought the bike is very smooth and delivers good power, the valves start to get extremly noisy as the engine gets hotter. I have checked the valve clearance more than enough and always get the same reading that its OK, so if everything is up to spec why are the valves still making so much noise.
Pedro

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No one want's to jump in, so I'll give you a couple of things that happened to me. I had a BMC A series engine long ago that sounds like your BMW. It turned out to be worn out rocker arms. I replaced the bushes and surfaced both rocker tip and valve stem, replaced the rocker shaft and all the noise went away. On another occasion, I had a Lotus Twincam that had worn tappett bores, resulting in intermittent valve train noise. I hope this helps, I know that strange noises can drive you nuts.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back