Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non Circular Vessel - ASME VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

pk22

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2020
CA
thread292-261669

Similar to the vessel noted in the previous thread I'm looking to calculate the stress in a vessel and I'm running into issues trying to figure out the right steps to take.

I've come across help for an elliptical (2 radius) cross section however I have a 3rd "corner" radius as well.

I've looked at appendix 13 however it didn't appear the profile I'm using was noted in there.

The thickness formula I've found for the two radius shell is:

t = P * a^2 * b^2 / S * E * (a^2 sin (f)^2 + b^2 cos (f)^2)^3/2

Where a is the major axis and b is the minor axis.

Then for the head I'm using a flanged and dish (torispherical) style however since the shape isn't circular can I still use UG-32 (d) equations for the torispherical head?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pk22, a sketch or two would be helpful, but I'd hazard a guess you are outside of Code rules. Perhaps far outside...

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Head_a6rvbv.png

The thread I linked had a similar shape, I've attached the shape of the head I'm looking at using.

The tank is for TDG cargo transport with a design pressure of 3 psi, it needs to loosely follow the ASME codes as per the code I'm following CSA B620.

I've seen Section XII covers cargo, however the code I need to comply with CSA B620 doesn't note compliance with Section XII, it notes compliance with VIII, see below.

Capture_jj8neg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back