Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-contact voltage tester to detect hot open underground wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

engtiuser2

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2015
CA
A private locate came to my backyard and detected a wire is located underground of my backyard which is possibly for the pool heater removed by the previous home owner. I found the part of the conduit which exits the house towards the ground. I like to make sure the wire is not live and I heard the subject tester can be used to identify live wire. Is it a viable solution? My concern is if the tester can identify live wire even the wire is open circuit.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The correct answer is that you should hire a professional electrician to sort this out. They'd presumably trace the cable back to the electrical panel and make sure that it's switched off, disconnected and ultimately removed. It should only take them about an hour, so this wouldn't be that expensive.

The little non-contact voltage testers (the sort that are on eBay for a few dollars) use the electric field to activate the high-impedance LCD. They should indicate even if the circuit is open, as they don't rely on current (just voltage). They don't work through conduit; only next to accessible (insulated) wires. They can be useful, but I'd never trust my life to such a device. Best not to attempt it.

As this is a "Home Owner's" question, this thread is very likely to be deleted.

The non-contact testers only work within less than ~1/4" of the wire. Can you get it that close? They sure won't work thru dirt.

You hire a locator as is previously suggested. They make their best guess as to which wire it is in the panel and then hook a signal generator to it. They then track it below ground with their hand device (Scotty). If the tracking leads to where it's expected to be the signal generator is disconnected showing a 1-to-1 correlation. That wire is then removed from its source (breaker) and clearly labeled and insulated. Done. (~1hr)

Keith Cress
kcress -

I have a "Tic Tester" with adjustable sensitivity that works over a couple of feet, but not through dirt and definitely not through conduit..
Hire an electrician or line locator. The locate that was done should have identified the location of the wire.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

FWIW - I've used one of the <$100 testers to find breaks in my dog's wireless fence. I was impressed it could track the wire a few inches underground.

Z

"Is the break here... <OW!>... nope. What about here... <OW!>... nope."

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

That reminds me of the old story about the dog that would whine and bark before his owners telephone rang.
The story is sometimes told as a joke but it just may be true.
The dog was kept chained to the telephone ground rod.
The ground resistance was very high, too high for the phone to ring.
However, every time the ring voltage was sent, the dog got a shock and would whine or bark.
The shock also triggered a bodily function and the dog would urinate on the ground rod.
The urine would lower the ground resistance and the phone would start to ring.
The hot dry weather would dry the urine ready for the next phone call.
I've just submitted this story to Snopes. Waiting.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back