Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

non-default part confiuration in assembly 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

adampunch

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2006
US
how do you show/insert a configuration of a part other than its default state? I have a model of a motor and gearbox as one part. I made an alternate configuration to show the gearbox mounted in the opposite direction. When i insert the part into the machine assembly, i don't see where i can select which configuration i want to use.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe it will usually insert the last-saved configuration. Also, you can open the gearbox, change to the desired config, and drag-n-drop it into your assembly.

If you are using the "Insert Component" icon and browsing for your part it gives you the config choice in the lower right corner of the dialog box once you have the part selected. This will save the extra clicks of changing it once it's in the assembly.

Cole M
CSWP, CSWST, CSWI, CPDM
SW06
SW07
IBM T42p, 2g proc., 1g RAM,ATI Mobility Fire GL T2
HP XW4100, 3g proc., 3g RAM, Nvidia Quadro 980 XGL
HP XW4300, 3.4g proc, 2.5g RAM, ATI Fire GL 3100

Hello
I have made an assy drawing and inserted a BOM.
Can anyone suggest why the configuration name is appearing in the part number column? (i.e. "default" is not a very useful part number)
Cheers, Nick

In the Configuration Properties of the assembly model, the Bill Of Materials Options must be calling for the Configuration Name to be used, instead of the Docuument Name. This typically happens if the configs are created using a Design Table.

[cheers]

The only way I know is to manually change the Bill Of Materials Options to Document Name ... for each config.

Perhaps one of the API gurus know of a macro which would do this for you.

[cheers]

If there is a design table in the part file, you can add a column to set what each configuration should use for its part number. The help lists what the column header should be named ($partno or maybe $partnumber I think). It should give you the value to make them all equal to the doucment name. Search help for "Summary of design table parameters".

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP5.1 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.1 on WinXP SP2

Gildashard ... THANKYOU ... THANKYOU ... THANKYOU

Yes ... the property is $PARTNUMBER with the variable being $D for Document Name and $C for Configuration Name.

Has that always been available? (please say no ... I'd be embarrassed to admit to how many I've changed manually)

[cheers]

What is interesting is that the configuration name of the part is referenced by the BOM even after the design table has been deleted from the original part file.

needless to say that $D is very useful... Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back