Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non destructive method to detect calcification in pipes? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hecmoya

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2007
US
I'm working on a peoject where a building ran for over 30 years without a water softening system. Pipe sample has been taken and there is considerable calcification of pipes. The system now has a softener, but there is (I am assuming) a lot of pipe that has severely compromised flow. I'm looking for the best method to make recommendations on how much of the pipe should be replaced. I have read articles about ultrasonic detection, but have yet to find any field test devices.

Any suggestions?
CIMG3284.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Based on the age of the system and especially on that picture, I'd assume that it all needed to be replaced. I'd work on a plan to replace certain sections at a time and present it to the Money Man. Keep your pipe sample, or cut another one out - that should be all the convincing they need.

Well, you're probably right, but this is a working hospital, so the least service disruption the better. It would be ideal if I could do some kind of survey to determine where the calcification is out of control and where it is negligible. I want to provide them documented justification, not just speculation (however true it may be)on what areas to replace. If I need to tell them to replace the whole thing, I need to back it up.

I think that pipe samples at various locations will be enough to get a good idea of what can be salvaged. A better solution would be some non-destructive method that would enable me to check everything at much lower cost and consequence.

You might try to use a clamp on ultrasonic or magnetic flow meter. They are available to rent. I have no idea how the calcification might affect the usefullness of these devices.

Also you might try a pipe camera. You can rent one of these too.

If you are able simple radiography, corrosion shot, at various locations will tell you the condition of your line.

It looks like you have something else going on by the looks of the deposit on the brass valve.
If you see anything on a couple of shots I would take the inspection money and apply it to the cost of chemical cleaning.

Here is a very good chemical cleaner, Rydlyme. I would give these people a call.

I also thought about an ultrasonic flow meter, and discarded it based on the fact that ultrasonic flow meters give you speed of the liquid.

Without the diameter of the pipe bore, you don't have a volumetric flow rate.

Or, am I missing something?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Wasn't his initial question to determine the presence of buildup on the ID of the pipe? A flowmeter will only give you an indirect indication based on the velocity at that particular cross-section.

I don't know if radiography will reveal anything on the ID. I would check into it as unclesyd suggested. Call up a radiography outfit in your area and discuss it with them. I think some types of ultrasonic inspection will detect buildup on pipe ID too - your radiographer should know that also. So you need to look in your area for an x-ray/non-destructive inspection company.

Buildup on the valve is probably leakage from the bonnet or stem packing.

An ultrasonic flowmeter will measure the velocity of the fluid- if you know the flow rate you can then calculate the effective ID of the pipe. The difference between that ID and the clean pipe ID = scale.

However- given the level of scale in the (random?) sample you have above- I'd look at cleaning the piping system. Beign a hospital you will need to be very careful to do it a section at a time and isolate/clean/flush the subsections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back