Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-ferrous inclusion detection??

Status
Not open for further replies.

catfaneng

Electrical
May 23, 2007
US
Does anyone know if there is a non-ferrous inclusion detection system out there for aluminum rod? It would need to be an in-line system. I have heard mention of infrared cameras that may work for this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you interested in surface defects, or subsurface? An infrared camera would only be useful for surface defects, while Eddy Current and Ultrasonic inspection techniques are possibilities for subsurface defects.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Thanks for your response. I am looking for subsurface defects. Eddy-current will not detect non-ferrous defects. I am not sure about ultrasonic, but I believe that would be difficult to apply in-line with the mill.

catfaneng;
You need to investigate or know what your threshold limit is for inclusion size and geometry. In other words, what is the maximum size you can tolerate in terms of width/length or in some cases maximum inclusion diameter. You need to go into this project knowing that you will not be able to detect all inclusions in an on-line process. So, be prepared to discuss with vendors what your limits need to be for detection of inclusions.

The IR methods rely on eddy current. You lightly induction heat the material and then look for hot spots. The discontinuities from inclusions will cause greater localized heating.
Yes straight ET will work. It is what we use on SS and Ni alloys. Just because material isn't ferromagnetic does not mean that it does not have magnetic properties.
Surface ET is easy because you can use higher freq and get great sensitivity.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back