Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-Incendive Pressure Transmitter Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdoug

Mechanical
Jun 29, 2014
US
Planning an instrumentation system that includes non-incendive rated pressure transmitters located in a Class I, Div 2 Group B area. The transmitters are 24 VDC excitation power and 4-20 ma signal. The power supply and data acquisition components will be located in a non-hazardous area. The DAQ system is rated as non-incendive. The question is rating/type of the 24 VDC power supply. Can a standard instrumentation power supply be connected to the transmitters with standard instrumentation cabling under the assumption that the non-incendive pressure transmitter itself is the energy limiting device that makes it safe in the hazardous area? Or, is a current limiting, multi-channel power supply, similar to a multi-channel segment protector required to individually limit the current available to each connected transmitter? The transmitter comes with a control drawing.
Can you also list the NEC, or other codes that relate specifically to the power supply requirements? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm assuming you're in the U.S., since you mentioned the NEC. There are multiple methods for nonincendive design. You need to refer to ANSI/ISA-12.12.01-2013, "Nonincendive Electrical Equipment for Use in Class I and II, Division 2 and Class III, Divisions 1 and 2 Hazardous (Classified) Locations."

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Thanks for the response. The ANSI/ISA-12.12.01-2013, "Nonincendive Electrical Equipment for Use in Class I and II, Division 2 and Class III, Divisions 1 and 2 Hazardous (Classified) Locations.", para. 7.6 has a note with an exception for 4-20 ma devices that "control it's own operating current", does that mean additional current limiting devices such as segment protectors are not required for 4-20 ma pressure transmitters rates as non-incendive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back