Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Non Load-Bearing Stud Wall as a LFRS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

shemp

Structural
Mar 4, 2002
US
Does anyone have experience in using a non-load-bearing steel stud wall with strap bracing as a lateral force resisting system?

This system that we are considering is for a two-story building. The perimeter steel studs bypass the second floor. A non-moment-resisting steel frame is used to carry gravity loads. Cold-formed steel strap braces will be used to resist lateral loads. I chose not to use the studs as a load-bearing wall due to the long spans for the second floor which would cause large loads to the bearing walls. This complicates the connections at the second floor level for in-plane shear transfer connections and the out-of-plane connections because they must allow for vertical movement of the second floor beams.

Has anyone used this type of system before? Can steel strap bracing be effectively used for a two-story non-load bearing stud wall? What connections are used?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go to "The Steel Network"'s website. They should have the info and details that you need. They are very helpful if you call and talk to their tech's, also.

Are you saying you are going to use the exterior wall as the shear wall or are you using interior non load bearing walls?

If exterior, what does the detail look like to transfer the load from the spandrel beam to the bypass studs that have a deflection clip?

I used a unique bracing system one time where I had tube columns and a light gage wall centered on the columns. I used plate bracing on each face of the tube column and connected it to gussets on each face of the tube. I then added horizontal furring strips to the studs between the bracing to mount the drywall to. This prevented seeing a lump in the drywall.

The X bracing then is on the face of each stud but connected to the columns.

Another idea is to use tubes as chevon bracing and in fill between with studs. Design the bracing to carry the lateral load from the studs.

Yes, the exterior stud walls will serve as the shear walls. To resist out-of-plane forces from the wall, the studs connect to the second floor beam with a deflection clip.

To transfer the diaphragm shears into the shear walls, there is a steel angle connecting the slab to the stud track. The vertical leg of the angle is slotted to permit vertical deflections. The leg of the stud track is notched to allow the horizontal leg of the angle to connect to the web of the track.

I know that these details can work, but was wondering if others had used this system and could offer a more efficient solution, such as combining the two out-of-plane and in-plane connections into one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back