Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non load bearing tiltup concrete shear wall 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

honat

Structural
Jan 3, 2005
US
Two questions on this topic:
1) Can a Non-loadbearing concrete wall or for that matter a masonry wall be designed and used as a shear wall in conjuncture with a suporting steel frame?
2) If yes, where can I find a good design manual or software that does handle this topic?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Non-bearing tilt-up panels can be used as shear wall. You just have less dead load to help resist the overturning.

Tilt-up Concrete Association has a publication called "Tilt-Up Design & Construction Manual".

The PCA notes on ACI's 318 code are also helpful. The ACI also offers another code written for tilt panels. I don't have the number for that one.

If you take a load bearing wall and rotate it 90 degrees, load and all, doesn't it become a shear wall? I'm not implying that shear walls and bearing walls are designed in the same manner, simply that its another way to look at the problem. I guess my point is that nonload bearing wall and shear wall are contradictory terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back