Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Non-Section III Design Calculations 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

QAFitz

Materials
Jul 21, 2005
ASME Section III is very prescriptive when it comes to the use of the yield strength in design calculations, citing a fraction that shall be used (i.e., 1/3rd of the yield strength for design calcs).
Is there a similar document establishing the use of the yeild strength for non-Section III design?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The list could be long if you don't have something specific in mind. Some examples

Vessels: Other sections of the ASME B&PVC
Piping: B31 series of codes
Structural Steel: ANSI/AISC 360-10 "Specification for Structural Steel Buildings"
Concrete (not exactly yield strengths...): ACI-318 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete; ACI-349 Code Requirements for Nuclear Safety-Related Concrete Structures

Hoping you have access to the following: 2010 ASME Section II Part D, page 844 and 845.
Para 2-110 establishes the criteria for materials other than bolting, and, 2-120 and 2-130 establish the criteria for bolting.
Neither of these is really specific to a specific type of application (vessel, flange, piping etc.) but more to the material itself.

I'm still confused on what your question is. Is there a specific application you are trying to find an appropriate design code for?

Section II, Part D, Mandatory Appendix 2 is the "Basis for Establishing Design Stress Intensity Values for Tables 2A, 2B, and 4, and Allowable Stress Values for Table 3". These tables are specific to specific code sections. For instance, Table 2A applies to Section III, Division 1, Class 1 (Subsection NB) and MC (Metal Containments, Subsection NE) and Section III, Division 3, Class TC (Transportation Containments) and Class SC (Storage Containments). In general, the various allowbles are chosen to set an appropriate level of safety based on the expected service and the design methodology employed (e.g., a more detailed analysis can justify less conservative factors). If you look at mandatory appendix 1 of Section II part D you will see different rules. Also, there is differences based on the application (e.g., Table 2-100 shows an 85% reduction for weleded pipe).

Let's try this.
I'm designing a pressure vessel with externally bolted connections for use in a 10CFR50 Appendix B and NQA-1 application. The vessel will be SA-516 Gr. 70, the bolting will be SA-193 Gr. B7 and SA-194 Gr. 2H.
What design stress intensity values shall I use for vessel thickness, type of welded joints, bolt hole pattern and bolt sizes?

I hate to give a useless answer, but use the ones the applicable deign code tells you to (i.e., first determine the code to use, then do what it requires). The title of this thread seems to indicate that this does not fall under Section III, but 10CFR50 and NQA-1 would make me guess otherwise. In general, the authority regulating the use of this vessel (NRC?) would have to be on board with the code chosen. If this is regulated by the NRC you might find some guidance in Reg. Guide 1.26 as to what the applicable code is based on its function.

If you are performing this design for a particular nuclear application, the facility is committed to a specific Code and year for the application. You need to use whatever they are committed to, or the design may not be useful, i.e. cannot be installed until any discrepencies are dispositioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back