Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Non-Structural Appendage - OSHPD/Siesmic Requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnPea

Mechanical
Sep 24, 2003
US
Hello all, (also posted in Strucural Forum)

I'm working on the design of some equipement to go into hospital applications around the country, including CA (OSPHD). The equipment is going to be mounted to interior walls and cantiliver out into the room, it may be counted as essencial equipment. The question is how do I determine the loading I need to design my bracketry, supports and such, what loads beyond the mass and performce loads I am working toward should I start my analysis at?

Step 1)
I've spent a day or two digging through CBC as much as possiable (I usually do not work with civil codes, mostly well defined company internal test and performce specifications, so this is new territory), and came up with the following results:

1. 2001 California Building Code: Section 1632 – Lateral Force on Elements of Structures, Nonstructural Components and Equipment Supported by Structures.
(1632.2) Design for Total Lateral Force.
(32-1) Fp = 4.0 Ca Ip Wp – Total Lateral Force
Ca = seismic coefficient, as set forth in Table 16-Q
Table 16-Q, with Soil Profile - SD & Seismic Zone Factor, Z – 0.4 => Ca => 0.44 Na.
Table 16-S, with Seismic Source Type A, ,= 2 km distance => Na (worst case) = 1.5
Then Ca = 0.44 x 1.5 = 0.66
Ip – Table 16-K – 1. Essential facilities => Ip = 1.50
Wp – Same as 2.1.1.3 (assumed weight of unit 135.2 lbf)
Fp = 4.0 Ca Ip Wp = 4.0 x .66 x 1.5 x 135.2 lbf = 535.4 lbf

2. or I can use an "alternate method" as follows:
(32-2) Alternative method:
Fp = (ap Ca Ip)/Rp[1 + 3 hx/hr] Wp
where: Fp >= 0.7 Ca Ip Wp <= 4.0 Ca Ip Wp
ap - Table 16-O (2.A) Nonstructural Components - ap = 2.5
Rp – Table 16-O (2.A) Nonstructural Components - Rp = 3.0
hx – component elevation w.r.t grade (assumed 94’ / 10 story building)
hr – structure roof elevation w.r.t grade (assumed 100’ / 10 story building)
Fp = (2.5)(.66)(1.5)/3.0[1 + 3 (94/100)] (135.2) = 426 lbf

3. (don't have faith, way lower load comes out, I think this is for signage and the like)
2001 California Building Standards Administrative Code (Part 1, Title 24, C.C.R.): Administrative Regulations for the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) Chapter 6: Seismic Evaluation Procedures for Hospital Buildings.
(2.4.6) Demand on Parts and Portions of the Building: “equipment supported by a structure and their attachments, as identified in the building evaluation procedures, shall be evaluated to verify that they are capable of resisting the seismic forces specified below.”
Total lateral seismic force Fp = 0.67 ( Av Cc Wc ).
where:
Av = 0.40 Assume any location therefore, maximum from Figure 2.1a – Effective Peak Acceleration Coefficient (Aa) and Effective Peak Velocity Coefficient (Av) for California.
Cc = 2.4 – Table 2.4.6 – Seismic Coefficient, Cc Nonstructural Components; Exterior and interior ornamentations and appendages.
Wc = 135.2 lbf Weight of the element or component.
then: Fp = (0.67)(.4)(2.4)(135.2) = 87 lbf

Questions:

How do I used these results in my anlysis of my end of the system, ie all the structural componentry outside of the actual mounting to the wall? Is this to be assumed an additional vertical load on my joints as applied at the wall? (asked anouther way) In my cantilever system I have a moment and shear load to design too, where do I apply this additional loading I am finding in the CBC?

I am working an access to the ASCE 7-02 Section 9.14 as refered to from ICC 2003 International Build Code, Section 1622, but was wondering if anyone out here is familure with this code thinks it will be more or less conservative than the CBC loadings disscussed above?

Once I get my loading figured out can I get pointed in a good direction to find the relationships that need to be satisfided that the structure of the building can be validated too? My first intuition is that this unit will be required to be supported accros two "studs" (either metal or wood) and would like to find if supplying a mounting solution for OSHPD installations that did not required a tear down and rebuild of the walls interior could be utilized? In the case of cement or masonary walls is simply specify a fastening system that has a health safty factor sufficient?

It's a lot to chew on, but, I'm just a M.E. and just got tossed into a Civil problem, and have no real resources internally to get some guidance.

Thanks,

Erik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Review page 116 of Volume 1 of the Seismic Design Manual published by ICBO. This example is for Rigid Equipment. On page 118, there is a design example for Flexible Equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back