Non Structural Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd78

Structural
Mar 22, 2004
US
Hello,
I am querying about an interpretation of ASCE 7-2002 as referenced by the NYC code. In 9.6.1 the exceptions indicate components with Ip of 1 are exempt from the provisions of the section for a Category C building. Later it says that one should address these items when failure could affect an essential component - perhaps from another trade. While that makes sense to do, I am curious how the code is really interpreted. Is a non-essential item to be restrained whenever an essential item is below it? The essential component may have been installed long after access to the non-essential component is available. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe your interpretation is correct. When failure of a non-essential component may damage an essential or structurally important part of the structure, the attachment for a non-essential component must be designed adequately per the code requirement. An example may be, if a non-essential architectural component fails and damages an essential force resisting beam or component of the structure, then the attachments for those architectural components must be designed adequately.

Thanks for that. To clarify, you are saying the exemption may not apply?

In this case the issue is non-essential HVAC ductwork already installed followed later by the electrical contractor locating an essential conduit (not sure what, perhaps exit lighting) to cross below the duct. Access may not permit after the fact conventional restraint of the duct, so it seems the contractor installing the the essential element should take care to protect it from unbraced items above it. In no case are we talking about structural integrity of the building. Does your comment apply in this case? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back