Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-triangular steel bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousef ZAA

Structural
Mar 26, 2017
US
Dears,
I have a non-triangular steel bracket, and could not find a refernce in the AISC for its design, only the the triangular case is addressed, could you guide to some references to the non-triangular steel bracket.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't understand your problem ... maybe sketch would help.
But generally you can design everything by using 'engineering' methods....not everything is given in design guides....

Yousef,

I don't see the problem. You have a bearing plate supported by a gusset. The gusset (and connection to the member on the right side of your image) will be expected to resist a shear and moment. So the gusset will be in flexure - think of it as a very short cantilever - and shear. Based on the shape shown, it seems likely that the gusset is as deep as it is because the length of weld connecting to the member on the right probably controls if the desire is to use a pair of fillet welds or small PJP welds for the connection.

Yousef,
For the bracket, it is to be designed using the method explained in section 6.6.7 of PCI manual, 7th Ed. This was taken from the Salmon book,
Salmon, Charles G., and J. E. Johnson. 1996. Steel Structures: Design and Behavior. 4th ed. New York, NY: Harper and Collins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back