Noncontact hardness testers, looking for recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwalz

Materials
May 29, 2002
US
Noncontact hardness testers, looking for recommendations

I am looking for a portable, noncontact, hardness tester that I can use to measure the Rockwell of saw blades.

I found a couple online but I can't find anybody to give me a quote.

So I guess I'm looking for a unit as well as a knowledgeable, responsive source.

I appreciate any help you cared offer.

Tom Walz

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I.m assuming that you are referring to not leaving an indenter mark. If you want no contact at all then Eddy Current is the answer.

Here are three approaches to the problem. The first is the Eddy currant probe. I'm not sure about the Richter instruments which are rebound instruments and may or may not leave a mark. The third is the Ultrasonic hardness tester,
i haven't personally used any of this type but have been around to check the results on the Eddy Current type and the Richter.

Rebound and Ultrasonic (UCI) types leave indentations. The size of the indentation obviously depends on the applied load, but leaves one nonetheless......

Cant comment on eddy current testing

Declan

Thank you gentlemen,

Strangely enough I was told that rebound and ultrasonic types do not leave an indentation. Once I pressed the person a bit, the answer became more along the lines that they do leave an indentation but nothing like the conventional testers do.

Thank you for the heads-up,
Tom

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Noncontact hardness tester is a contradition in terms. However, some methods (rebound, Microdur) leave very small marks and can be considered 'nondestructive' for practical purposes.

There may be methods that can tell you hardness is OK by somehow detecting another property that correlates with hardness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back