Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nonlinear analysis for compression-only soil spring 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonGeng

Structural
Jan 21, 2009
AU
If a sap model has involved compressioin-only soil spring, does it need to run non-linear analysis for every primary load case and all load-combination cases as well?

I have modeled an underground tunnel in SAP, and there are quite a lot of soil spring (compression-only) defined. I appreciate if any comments.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. Anytime non-linear analysis is involved it needs to be performed on each load combination as linear superposition is not valid.

Thanks very much for your reply. If I want to look at the results just from one primary load case, do i need to run this load case nonlinearly as well?
Thanks.

In your specific case where the actual analysis results of a single load case require non-linear analysis (compression only springs), then yes each load case would need to be run non-linear as well to view their specific results.

You should be able to easily see this in the output of the model (the compression-only springs will be taking tension if you don't run non-linear).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back