Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

nonreflective material for blister/clamshell packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trxt

Aerospace
Jun 10, 2008
TR

Hello Everyone,

I m looking for a kind of PET film or alternative material which is highly transparent but has nonreflective characteristic for clamshell/blister packaging. Blister package is shining under the spotlight of the shelf and the product inside the package can not seem properly. PET is my priority due to costs but i am open to every proposals.

Thank you for your helps..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your only chance is to put a texture on the surface of the blister film. Gloss comes from having a smooth, flat surface. If you can mold in a micro texture then you can reduce gloss but stay with the transparent PET. The material is not the problem, it's the surface. You'd have the same gloss problem with any plastic.

Chris DeArmitt

Consulting to the plastics industry

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your response. I agree with you. Gloss comes from the surface which is smooth like glass.

but if we make microtexture on mold , Probably trancparency will also be reduced. Right?

I will make microtexture on thermoform mold and i will evaluate the result.

I've worked with no glare Acrylic before, it's made for signage, its clear to see through but one surface has something similar to a very, very light sand blasting. You could also try very weak chemical etching.

Hello suselinux,

Thank you for your message. How about the transparency loss?

Transparency is very important for my product. It must be like glass.

I am curious about the acrylic sheet you suggested. Is there a web site refer to this pmma sheets?

Any attempt to reduce glare must disrupt reflection from the surface. This means reducing the smoothness. This scatters light. This reduces transmission and clarity to some extent.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Pat,

there are some pvd optical anti-reflection coatings doesnt disrupt the transparency.

they apply on eyeglass and good results can be achieved.

But , i would rather to solve this through plastic operation.

I think you will find there is some compromise with anti glare vs sharpness and transmission even with eyeglasses and camera lenses, well at least there should be according to Isaac Newton.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

You can't get past basic physics (at least not without the budget of the Hadron Collider)... if you get rid of reflections, you're getting rid of transparency.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back