Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norfolk , New York, Snow Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

nashe

Structural
Apr 22, 2007
CA
Does any body has idea what is the ground snow load for NOrfolk City in New York state and also which buidling design code they follow. As per ASCE snow load is CS. So I am trying to contact the city engineer but no luck yet.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you talking about Norfolk near Massena?

According to the map in the New York State building Code (its a modification of the IBC) pg is 55 psf.

They follow the "New York State Building Code" which is different from the new york city one.

It is a modification of the IBC model code.

Fianlly I got hold of the Code Engineer for Town of Norfolk, NY. He informed me that they follow New York State Building code BUT Pg = 65 PSF.

According to the map it is definately 55 in the town.

This is the problem in New York State every town just does what they want anyway. Dont know why they even bother with a state code!

If they want 65 then thats what you will have to give them.

Consistent code interpretations from jurisdiction to jurisdication is definately an issue. In Central Ohio, there is a chapter of ICC that meets monthly to discuss issues and get some consensus. I understand other chapters have heard of this group and are interested in doing something similar in other areas. Now that ICC has created regions, there is opportunity for large portions of the country to get together to reach consensus.

Even with a group of building officials discussing code provisions, we do not always get concensus. If the code has any grey in it, the building official may conservatively interpret it to pretect himself from whatever liability he preceives sovereign immuninity will not provide.

Don Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back