Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Normal force from contact pressure (CPRESS in Abaqus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo85

Mechanical
Mar 29, 2009
SI
First of all, hello to everybody. This is my first post here but I already use this very forum as a source of information :)

My problem is this the next:
I'm doing some basic contact analysis in AbaqusCAE 6.7. I have two 3D solids which are in contact (2 planar surfaces). As a result I get a contact pressure distribution (CPRESS) on the bottom solid. Now I would like to get an equivalent normal force from these result but I don't know how. Could anyobody help me please?

On this picture you can see the contact pressure distribution:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, I know know that i must integrate the pressure over the area, but I unfortunately don't know how to do this in Abaqus...

Thank you xerf! I found out that if I check in the History Recquest Output the CFN box (total forces and moments due contact pressure) I get exactly what I want. It's a very convenient and elegant menthod for getting this result.

you have to be very careful using direct normal or tangential forces calculated by Abaqus in any contact analysis. you need to understand fully how abaqus simulates contacts and how it derives forces for each given contact formulation abaqus uses. Barely ticking CFN in the Field output doesnot mean you are getting the right Normal forces.

I would advise you read the section on contacts "Abaqus Analysis Manual" if you haven't done that already. You would be in fully control of your Abaqus Contact simulation once you grasp the theory behind the formulation Abaqus uses and you would be able to detect when Abaqus computes a seemingly "wrong" Forces or body Stresses..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back