Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Normal thermal outbreathing heated tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill3752

Chemical
Jan 24, 2008
US
I have several insulated tanks that are controlled to 140°F. I am sizing conservation vents a vapor recovery (scrubbing) system. I would seem that I could disregard the thermal outbreathing component since the tank temp will be higher than ambient. The materials have a low volatility.
Any thoughts wold be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, but the heating system probably adds a scenario or two because of it's presence, like heat fails wide open? And, after an outage it could be heating up cold material for a while. So, the heat being on is kind of equivalent to the sun heating up a non-heated tank. Your tank's normal thermal outbreathing will be when the heeat comes on.

Good Luck,
Latexman

Latex,
Thanks. Regarding the abnormal heat case, we have considered that scenario. But I had not thought of the situation wherein the heating system has been down. I will need to discuss that with the Client.

Material with "low volatility" gives you a warm fuzzy feeling until you find out its not, and its too late by then. And it gets much worse when you discover there are scheduled carcinogens in the vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back