Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Normal weight concrete definition in ACI seems incorrect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petras Surna

Structural
Jan 9, 2017
AU
According to ACI-318R-14 the formula for Ec is as below.

Normal weight concrete is 2400 kg/m3 or 150 lb per cu ft
This means the first formula applies.

That seems to be an error.
The second formula would never apply even though it states "normal weight concrete"
Can anyone please enlighten me as to the mistake I am making?

concrete_hzbusp.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The normal weight concrete often is taken as 145 pcf, then Ec = 145[sup]1.5[/sup](33)√fc' = 57619√fc' ≅ 57000√fc'.

You are welcome. Just remember that concrete properties are not exact science. Most are derived through testing and by statistics means, that is, largely average, or best fit approximation.

Also note when is a more realistic elastic modulus having significance in the results. I would say it has less structure significance for the majority of analysis and design tasks, thus an approximation is enough. But for investigation on an existing structure, with concrete weight is known, I think the elastic modulus carries more weight, especially in the analysis of deflections, and the first equation should be used.

Also, they only use two significant digits. That makes it a little tricky when comparing with other specifications. Consider the following for 145 pcf and 4 ksi concrete.

ACI: Ec = 33(145^1.5)*sqrt(4000)/1000 = 3644 ksi

AISC: Ec = 145^1.5*sqrt(4) = 3492 ksi

They're about 4% different.

Keep in mind that when the code say, the following parameters are "permitted to be calculated by", that doesn't mean you have to use the formula. Rather the code is merely giving you formulas that you CAN use. However, neither formula is a code requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back