Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Normalized A-105 or 316L?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalvarez

Chemical
Mar 12, 2004
US
We are doing a modification in a line carrying anhidrous Hydrogen Chloride. The original materials are ASTM A-333 Gr 6 for piping and A-350 LF2 or A-420 WPL6 for accesories. We are installing a low point in a Ø 6" line, and we need to install now a 6" blind flange there.
Operating conditions are 12 barg and -26°C (minus 26).
What could be better to install for the blind from the following alternatives:
- An A-105 blind flange, normalized at 900°C for two hours, cooled down in still air, or
- Same flange, but in ASTM A182 F 316L.
I'm asking this because I don't know if the original installation of killed steel is due to something related with corrosion (as said before, the product is anhidrous hydrogen chloride), and there exist a preference in the selection of the material, or it's simply a cost issue.
Thanks for any advice and regards to all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SnTMan
We are using A-350 LF2 in all the job, but we need to stop this 6" line in a point. We only have at hand the two mentioned alternatives; to find a blind Ø6" #300 (or a cap) in LF2 is not so easy here.
I'm curious -and surprised- now. What are the reasons to prefer the normalized A-105 over the SS? Stress corrosion probabilities?
Thanks & regards

Taking into account metengr comment, if I have a blind joint, I'll use the SS (but I haven't).
We are using monel graphite joints.

Why would you need to use SS, if the remainder of your delivery system is fabricated out of SA 350 LF2 and SA 333 material? To me, I like to avoid introducing dissimilar materials as much as possible. Based on your MDMT requirements, the SA 105 is suitable material for a blind flange application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back