Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

normally open check valve???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronbak

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2004
US
I am looking to source a high pressure check valve that will be used as a fresh water drain.

working pressures 0- 40000 psig
0 to about 10 psig the valve would be open.
>10 to 40000 psig the valve would be closed.

mechanically actuated

any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The animal does not exist, maybe you could get this by some exotic internal waterhydraulic mechanism, but I doubt it is commercially actually available or feasible.

I have been into replacing of malfunctioning larger normal (damped waterhydraulically) checkvalves for electrohydraulic power plants resrvoir pumping systems, and all chances are the previous two answers you have got are correct. Malfunctions in this size is interesting phenomena.....

Advice: On off valves, electrically or oil hydraulic operated with backup (UPS) systems and if necessary redundancy are your obvious solution. Check your pressure peaks when opening and closing to get correct opening and closing time within acceptable limits...

It sounds more like an excess flow valve than a check valve. Also, the only 40000 psi applications in my experience were the old low density polyethylene designs. Piping had wall thickness perhaps greater than the inside diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back