Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NORSOK R-001, Nozzle Loads 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

texag

Mechanical
Apr 6, 2006
US
Howdy,

Recently a customer asked me to verify that our valves meet the requirements of NORSOK R-001 sec 5.1.5 for the nozzle loads. Essentially this confirms that the valve design is sufficient to support minimum moment and force loads at the nozzle to body (shell) junction that other connected equipment may impart. NORSOK gives the equations for force and the moment based on CWP and nozzle OD. What I am confused about is NORSOK's description of location and direction those loads. Below is some text from that section.

"The moment 'M' (Nm) and the force 'F' (N) shall be applied simultaneously in:
-two perpendicular directions at the right angle to the axis of pipe or in the plane tangent to the pressure retaining part at the nozzle-to-shell interface;
-direction perpendicular to the above plane.

Whenever relevant, the stress analysis shall be done both for the radial force pulling outwards together with the internal design pressure and for the same force pushing inwards with zero pressure resp. vacuum."

Can anyone with experience using this specification give me a clearer explanation of how NORSOK is wanting the forces applied?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not have a copy of that specification. Is the attached diagram a correct interpretation of the loading as described by NORSOK? Basically you have an external load causing two moments and an axial force - in addition to the other pressure and design loads. That would be a worst case scenario condition.

Is this required to allow for some flexure of the structures that the equipment may be attached to? I am not familiar with offshore engineering and am curious.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0fd8c862-0855-4219-a6f5-3fe8c6207244&file=nozzle.pdf
Norsok applies the nozzle forces same as WRC. Calculate the Moment/Force from the eqn given in Norsok and apply in all the 6 degrees [moment in 2 directions and torque in the 3rd, shear in 2 directions and axial force].

Narendranath R
Pipeline engineering is made easy with state of the art computer software, visit

narenr,

When I am applying my loads to calculate the 6 stresses do you mean to say that to meet NORSOK R-001 for nozzle loads I do not need to consider the stress from internal pressure in addition to the 6 loads you mentioned?

Teaxag / Narenr,

Norsok is really nothing to do with WRC 107. The equations derive a force and a moment based on pressure rating and nozzle size, to be applied in specified directions for vessel design to whatever code, suchas ASME, BS/PD or EN. The same loads are used as upper limit values in pipe stress analysis. This permits safe parallel engineering of piping and vessels and avoids submission / rejection of loads / iteration between different design groups.

To start my analysis I applied the internal pressure and the loads created by the internal pressure. At the end of the nozzle I simulated remote loads to create the two momemts and the force as described in NORSOK, well, my interpretation anyway. I attached a sketch of this in a previous post. All I need to know is whether that interpretation is correct, so far I am getting different answers.

C2it, based on my diagram (which is the NORSOK forces only) did I apply the moments and force per the standard or is that incorrect? If it is incorrect could someone please sketch out the location and direction of the moments and forces on my nozzle?

See attached sketch.

F1, M1, F2, M2 = Two perpendicular directions at the right angle to the axis of pipe or in the plane tangent to the pressure retaining part at the nozzle-to-shell interface;

F3, M3 = Direction perpendicular to the above plane.

F and M are calculated from the Norsok equation which already contains the pressure. There is no need to add additional stresses due pressure.

Narendranath R
Pipeline engineering is made easy with state of the art computer software, visit www.narendranath.itgo.com.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c590cab7-a998-4cdf-a2f9-5a674e1a5121&file=Norsok.gif
C2it,

I am just expressing my experience. I feel ISO and BS are a lot clearer and easier to use than ASME. ASME is more like a legal code where you have ask for intrepretations. But this is off the main subject here.

Rgds Naren

Narendranath R
Pipeline engineering is made easy with state of the art computer software, visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back